Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

On Michael Jackson

There have been many bloggers weighing in on the recent death of Michael Jackson, I thought Tim Challies' was informative, or at least well-expressed my own perspective of Jackson and the hysteria and media reaction to his death.

Tim Challies:

Michael Jackson was in so many ways a product of this sick celebrity culture (that he helped create) that will never rest satisfied until it has both created and then destroyed the newest celebrity. We want our celebrities to start strong and finish weak, to begin with a bang and then fizzle, pop and sputter, all for our enjoyment and entertainment (Susan Boyle stands as the most recent example of this). Jackson gave us so much to talk about, so much to enjoy. More than any other celebrity he embodied the “vanities” of Ecclesiastes. He was at one time known for what he did so well and then was known for being a freak; he was at one time fantastically wealthy and then utterly broke; he was once loved and then despised. He had it all and yet, it seemed, he had nothing. All of it was meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

And my favorite MJ . . .





Blessings
3 John 8
Bill H.

*** "For the Summer, for the summer" (A break, sort of ...): For the rest of the summer, I will be taking it easy, offering little original thinking, most of my posts will be hijacked from other blogs (and I'm sure will be far more interesting than my own thoughts). I'll get back at it as school reloads in August. In the meantime, enjoy!

No comments: