Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Trustworthiness

Proverbs 25:13 - Like the coolness of snow at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the spirit of his masters.

Speaking of "trustworthiness," Pastor Andy Stanley recently gave this excellent talk on gaining and giving trust as a leader. In it, he defines being trustworthy not as being perfect or flawless, but simply as being someone worthy of trust. He talks "about the importance of developing a culture of trust within your organization." Stanley explains three characteristics of a trustworthy leader:

1 - I commit to doing what I say I'll do, and when I don't, I'll tell you (I'll own it when things don't go right, you'll hear it from me).

2 - I commit not to over-promise and under-deliver. But if it looks likes that's where things are headed, I'll tell you.

3 - If you confront me about the gaps I've created, I'll tell you the truth.

Indeed, this kind of trustworthiness "refreshes the spirit" of those you work with.

You can listen to - or download - the entire talk here: Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast - Trust vs. Suspicion.

Blessings
3 John 8
Bill H.

No comments: