Pages

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Softball, Greophile, and Piper

Today is just some personal things, no theme, just a few things I've wanted to share:

1) One of my greatest joys in sports/athletics (listen to the message I posted yesterday to really appreciate what that statement means) is the privilege to coach the Women's Softball team at Baptist Bible College. Next Tuesday will be our first game of my 8th season as Head Coach. The relationships that my wife Susan and I have developed over these years have been some of our most special in my teaching ministry here. These are the people that, for good or bad, get to hang with us the most.

For any of you out there reading, "Thank You!" You have been such blessing to us. It is so incredibly satisfying to see where God has taken you, so see you get married, and now so many having children, and to see God using you in ministry.

Well, below is our team picture for this year. I'm looking forward to the season and seeing what this team will do. They're a hard working crew. As for over-all abilities, this may be the most athletic team we've ever had. We've been practicing for six weeks now and we're all ready to play a real game. But, be careful what you wish for, as we play the 14th ranked team in the country next Tuesday (Moravian College).

Stay tuned . . .



And you can see their individual picture and roster information here: BBC SOFTBALL TEAM.

2) My good friend and colleague, Professor Dave Shumaker has started a blog. Dave has never been one to shy away from a good theology discussion (brouhaha???). And right out of the block he takes on one of the leading thinkers in fundamentalism today. Dave plans to post at least once a week, and as this one will show you, I think you'll enjoy and be challenged by his takes. Check him out here: Biblical Greophile. I have also created a link to in on my blog list to the right.

3) And finally, the other day I did a seminar for students on the BBC Day of Prayer; it was called "Using the Internet for Spiritual Formation." We spent a good portion of the time talking about Bible reading and listening online. Well, for those who attended, John Piper "seconds" my little recommendation about listening to the Bible (always encouraging to know that greater minds than ours are agreeing with us), he writes . . .

"I do have the ability to read silently, of course, but listening to the Word has had a very good effect on me. It makes me slow down, working against my tendency to skim over things that are relatively familiar."

You can read the short article at: Between Two Worlds (posted using ShareThis).

Blessings
3 John 8
Bill H.

4 comments:

kt79walker said...

I can't believe you are starting year 8!! I remember when we started and our first game we had to borrow helmets!! And now you have pretty matching uniforms-Ha Ha what fun!! Oh well thanks for all you did and are doing!!
Katie

Bill H said...

Thanks Katie, great to hear form you. Trust all is well.

Blessings

Witt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Witt said...

Very nice. The last year or so I have been challenging our people to listen to the Scriptures through the NIV website. I know it helps offset my own ADD issues.