Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Weekend Update . . .

FYI ….. (3/28)

Back to my Weekend Update, the break was nice, but it is always good to get back to one’s normal routine, here goes . . .

Time Magazine recently ran an article called: 10 Ideas changing the World Right Now. Most interesting (at last to this context) is idea number three: The New Calvinism . WOW! No matter where one is on the Calvinist scale, this is a remarkable acknowledgement by this powerful media force.

Related to the above, Mark Driscoll has identified four ways (reasons) New Calvinism is so powerful. My interpretation is that Driscoll is stating four REASONS HE BELIEVES New Calvinism is having the influence in the Evangelical world [i.e., “why it is so popular, especially among the younger generations]. He writes:

  1. Old Calvinism was fundamental or liberal and separated from or syncretized with culture. New Calvinism is missional and seeks to create and redeem culture.

  2. Old Calvinism fled from the cities. New Calvinism is flooding into cities.

  3. Old Calvinism was cessationistic and fearful of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. New Calvinism is continuationist and joyful in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.

  4. Old Calvinism was fearful and suspicious of other Christians and burned bridges. New Calvinism loves all Christians and builds bridges between them.
Two personal observations, while the theology is certainly central, I still content why it has become so appealing to the people I minister to (College Students) are reasons 1 and 4 Driscoll states above. Hmmm?

I pretty-much like anything from Alison Krauss, it come by way of a a Kindred Spirit, Pastor Ray Ortlund: Alison Krauss – A Living Prayer





For the serious scholars out there, my colleague, Professor Dave Shumaker presented this paper at the Northeast Regional Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society: A PRIMER FOR THE STUDY OF PAUL AND ROMAN IMPERIAL IDEOLOGY.

Cloud of Witnesses is a cool new blog from a Professor at Moody Bible Institute that provides, among other things related, a Philosophical Word for the Day.

One of my favorite online Pastors, Mark Batterson, quotes Oswald Chambers and Abraham Lincoln, my favorite President (yeah, favorite President—really nerdy I now), on one of my most favorite topics to teach: Leadership. Batterson >>

After this review, I have decided I need to see this movie: Man of Fire. I think I’ll make it a part of my “No BBC College Student/Child Left Behind at the Movies” campaign.

From Ken Fields at the dispensational blog (is that a blogosphere oxymoron?), The World From Our Window, he offers some good thoughts and questions about Dispensationalism Today.

And finally the Baptist Bible College Defenders Softball (of which I am the Head Coach), we are 2-2 for the week and in need of two big ones today, you can follow the exploits of the BBC Defenders Softball team at: BBC SOFTBALL.

Blessings
3 John 8
Bill H.

No comments: