Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Weekend Update ~ DBSB Day?

FYI ….. (3/14)

First, just a few thoughts on an observation I made yesterday . . .

I noticed this phenomenon on our own campus yesterday, and I noticed it at very different place last weekend when I went to picked up my son from the University of Vermont (Groovy UV, as they call it). There could not be two more different schools in the world of higher education than these two, but it was the same happy and joyous atmosphere at both.

I have come to this conclusion: THE DAY BEFORE SPRING BREAK (DBSB) MAY BE THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS!

“Why?” You ask.

Well, yesterday was our DBSB day, and I noticed everyone (faculty and students) had that extra glee in their eyes and bounce in their step. Whether BBC or UVM, both were full of happy people anticipating a few good days of fun, relaxation, and refreshment just ahead.

And, why not be happy (or, “joyful” in our language)?

Many are headed home to see people they miss, many are heading south to enjoy warmer weather, and in our case, many were heading out for special ministry trips over the break with their friends. And a few are even happy because they can spend the extra time getting ahead in their homework????

Yes, we’re leaving and saying “good bye,” but it’s not that sad kind of “good bye” at the end of the year. No, it’s the kind that you know is a only for a few days, and pretty much no matter where you’re going, those are going to be good days, and we’ll catch up on things when we get back.

Well, as I write this I have decided I’ll catch up on the “Weekend Update,” things tomorrow. For now, I’m just going to enjoy my first day of Spring Break with no classes or other responsibilities to prepare for. And this morning I’ll spend a few minutes packing so I can head south for my break …….. (seriously, headed to Myrtle Beach).

Here’s to wishing every day on the college campus was like the DBSB day! (I think I’m going to figure out how to market DBSB—I can see DBSB Day T-shirts on college campuses everywhere.)

Just a thought, is DBSB day a little taste of heaven? Maybe so?

Blessings
3 John 8
Bill H

No comments: